Marmalade Schools Ltd Privacy Notice
How We Use Your Information
This notice is to help parents understand how and why Marmalade Schools Ltd collects your child's personal information and what we do with that information. It also explains the decisions that you can make about your child's information (when we refer to ‘your’ in this notice it may include you and your child)
What is personal information?
Personal information is information that identifies you as an individual and relates to you. This includes your contact details, financial information, educational and health information as well as information such as ethnic group, photographs and video recordings.
How and why does Marmalade Schools Ltd collect and use personal information?
We set out examples below of the different ways in which we use personal information and where this information comes from. Whilst the majority of information you provide to us is mandatory, some of it is provided to us on a voluntary basis. In order to comply with data protection law, we will inform you when you have a choice in this. Our main reason for using your personal information is to provide educational/caring services to your child.
- We obtain information about you from admissions forms and from your child’s previous setting (if applicable) We may also get information from professionals such as doctors and from local authorities.
- We may have information about any family circumstance which might affect your child’s welfare.
- We may need information about any court orders or criminal petitions which relate to you. This is so we can safeguard the welfare and wellbeing of your child and the other children.
- We may use CCTV to make sure the site is safe.
- We will process financial information about you in relation to payment of fees.
Sharing personal information with third parties:
- In accordance with our legal obligations, we may share information with the local authorities, for example, where we have any safeguarding concerns.
- On occasion we may need to share information with the police.
- We may use advisors to assist us in fulfilling its obligations to help run the setting properly. We might need to share your information with them if this is relevant to their work.
- We may share some information with our insurance company, where there is a serious incident at the setting.
- If your child leaves us to attend another setting we may need to provide that setting with information about you or your child. For example, details of family circumstances for safeguarding reasons.
- We may share information about you with others in your family, such as another parent where this is part of our obligation to take care of your child, as part of our wider legal and regulatory obligations.
- We may need to share information if there is an emergency for example, if your child is hurt whilst on our premises.
Our legal grounds for using your information:
This section contains information about the legal basis that we are relying on when handling your information.
This means that the processing is necessary for legitimate interests except where the processing is unfair to you. Marmalade Schools Ltd relies on legitimate interests for most of the ways in which it uses your information. Specifically, Marmalade Schools Ltd has a legitimate interest in:
- Providing educational and care services to your child;
- Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of your child (and other children);
- Promoting the objects and interests of the setting. This includes making sure we are able to enforce our rights against you, for example, so that we can contact you if unpaid fees are overdue;
- Facilitating the efficient operation of the setting; and
- Ensuring that all relevant legal obligations of the setting are complied with.
Necessary for a contract:
We will need to use your information in order to perform our obligations under our contract with you. For example, we need your name and contact details so that we can update you on your child’s progress and so that we can contact you if there is a concern.
Where the setting needs to use your information in order to comply with legal obligation, for example, to report a concern to Safeguarding Services. We may also need to disclose information to third parties such as the local authorities where legally obliged to do so.
For example, to prevent someone from being seriously harmed or killed. The setting must also comply with an additional condition where it processes special categories of personal information. For example, ethnic origin and health information.
We may ask for your consent to use your information in certain ways. If we ask for your consent to use your personal information you can withdraw this consent at any time. Any use of your information before you withdraw remains valid.
How long do we keep your information:
We keep your child's information for as long as we need to in order to educate and look after them. We will keep certain information after your child has left our setting. In exceptional circumstances, we may keep your child's information for a longer time than usual, but we would only do so if we had a good reason and only if we are allowed to do so under data protection law.
What decisions can you make about your information?
From May 2018 data protection legislation gives you a number of rights regarding your information. Some of these are new rights whilst others build on your existing rights. Your rights are as follows:
- If information is incorrect you can ask us to correct it;
- You can also ask what information we hold about you and be provided with a copy. We will also give you extra information, such as why we use this information about you, where it came from and what types of people we have sent it to;
- You can ask us to delete the information that we hold about you in certain circumstances. For example, where we no longer need the information;
- You can ask us to send you, or another organisation, certain types of information about you in a format that can be read by computer;
- Our use of information about you may be restricted in some cases. For example, if you tell us that the information is inaccurate we can only use it for limited purposes while we check its accuracy;
- You can object to direct marketing
- Claim compensation for damages caused by breach of Data Protection regulations.
Further information and guidance:
This notice is to explain how we look after your child's personal information. The registrar can answer any questions which you might have. Like other organisations we need to keep your information safe, only use it for what we said we would, destroy it when we no longer need it and most importantly – treat the information we get fairly. If you consider that we have not acted properly when using your child's personal information you can contact the Information Commissioner's Office: ico.org.uk.
STATUTORY INFORMATION ABOUT MARMALADE SCHOOLS LTD
Registered in England and Wales Registered Company No. : 4810647
- Registered Office: Marmalade Schools Ltd, 56 Telford Avenue, London, SW2 4XF
0208 265 5224